Wednesday 11 June 2014

A Walk in the Park by Susan L.

  It was a tough choice not to go to my writer's group last night but it was too much to ask of my anxiety filled heart and mind. I decided instead to go across the road for a walk in the park. Exercise is supposed to help with stress and I needed to get out of my head for a while. It was an evening of utter calm, a waiting sort of evening. Soft, silver clouds muted the sun. A sun dog affirmed the forecast for rain. It's a good thing. Leaves are hanging limp from the lack of moisture this spring. There was a lot of humidity in the air that carried each sound. The swish of rubber shoes along the grassy path seemed foreign and intrusive in the green cathedral of the cedars that line the beginning of my route.
  There wasn't a breath of breeze. For interest's sake, Deep Woods Off works. I walked through clouds of mosquitoes and not a single one landed on me. A deer fly pestered me for a bit, its buzz extra loud, before it got a whiff of the bug repellent and left me alone. Good. Their bites are nasty.
  Parts of the river are terribly low and coated with scum. It is stagnant in places. I've never seen it look so bad. It's heartbreaking really. What are we doing to our waterways? It is good habitat for the huge carp though, who snuffle along the silt covered bottom looking for bits of edible delights. The water was so low in places, their back fins broke the surface as they swam around.
   A wood duck pair squawked and scrambled away as I approached. Their days old ducklings hard pressed to keep up. The male is incredibly beautiful although I only caught a fleeting glimpse of him.
  Moments later a muskrat splashed into the shallows, startled by my loud, swishing presence. A glimpse is all he allowed before submersing himself completely and vanishing from sight.
  The campsites were empty along the short stretch of road included in my circular route. It then enters a pine plantation. I was taken a bit by surprise when I noticed how much these trees have grown over the last few years. A few early crickets offered a tentative symphony from the long grass bordering the path. I stood for a moment listening and breathing in the sweet aroma of pine.
  It did me good, this little walk although next time I'll wear running shoes instead of crocs so my steps are much quieter. Who knows what I might see?
  Before turning into bed after a quiet night with no TV, I went outside to watch the fireflies for a bit. It was a nice way to end the evening. I feel much better this morning. Still anxious but better.
  One more week until I see my doctor. Thank God.
  "Lord, all my desire is before You; and my sighing is not hidden from You." Ps 38:9

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking us along for the walk. I could see it. Lovely. Being in God's creation is uplifting. After all, if He knows about the carp, the muskrat and the ducklings - how much more does He know about me? He knows my comings and goings, the hair on my head - and my heart. Nothing is hidden from Him. We often think of sin when we read that - but think broader. Our hurts, our past, our confusion, our darkness, our struggles - nothing is hidden from Him. The wonder of it all that He loves us. How great is our God!

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...