Saturday 3 May 2014

The Bad Guy by Susan L.

  At Wednesday's meeting with my psychiatrist I shared with him about writing my book. I confess at the moment there hasn't been much writing but that's okay there's been other fish to fry. He asked me what, if anything, I was discovering in the process.
  The bad guy: he is one piece of nasty work. He's scheming, sadistic, striving, suspicious and a whole lot more. He's just about every negative aspect of humanity all crammed into one detestable being. What surprises me is how easy it is to slip into his roll and write about his thoughts, his plans and actions. It made me realise I have a dark side; a really dark side. Writers can only write about what they know.
  It makes me glad I have a conscience and morals. It makes me celebrate that I have the Lord to keep me right. It fills my heart with gratitude because I have a Love that surpasses all understanding to drown out darker desires. Sometimes it's hard for the human part of me not to want revenge or to explode in rage. It makes me especially glad that the Lord answered prayers so that most of the time I am not bitter about my life's experiences. That is a work in progress, too, giving up bitterness and self-pity. Those toxic emotions poison hearts, minds and souls.
  The challenge for me is how to extend grace to the bad guy, the dark side of the soul. When will a chance for redemption and a choice for change be offered? After all the Lord has done for me, it's the least I can do for him. Whether or not he grabs hold of the opportunity to become something better than he is remains to be seen.
  In a way, I hope the bad guy doesn't change because writing a character that nasty is a whole lot of fun. Especially because it's only the made-up people in my imagination who have to contend with his actions.
  Besides, without the bad guys in our stories and lives, there can be no heroes.
  "When you go with your adversary to the magistrate, make every effort along the way to settle with him lest he drag you to the judge, the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer throw you into prison."Lk 12:58

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...