Friday 9 May 2014

Grounding Trauna Conference by Susan L.

  It's been an informative and emotional couple of days. It's going to take some time to process everything. It surprised me that I had an easy time to decide which particular sessions to attend. Its often harder for me to chose a meal on a menu!
   I will say I got tired of hearing the word "client". Somehow it seems to dehumanize the people professional therapists and the like work with.  It's not a word that appears in the peer support arena. There were a couple sessions surrounding music therapy but I chose to go elsewhere. One of the topics was about how to build resiliency in the people (clients) we work with. Another was about using creative processes, a filmmaker was the speaker, to help restore a voice to those who have experienced trauma.
  Throughout the various groups I took visual notes in a small sketchpad. The art aspect helps ground me and often a simple graphic image is able to represent complex ideas. For example two bolts of lightning, one white, one black represented good and negative energy. There were a couple of compliments and even a job offer to come and do the note taking at a board meeting. It was in Toronto so I graciously declined. Or maybe my resounding "No" held a touch of panic. Who me? Do that? In front of people? Uh-uh. No way.
  The filmmaker who was part of the second to last session I attended ended up sitting at the table with us during lunch. He was a lovely man about my own age. He admitted he was good at what he does but added that he wasn't boasting, it was a difficult thing for him to say; that he struggled to embrace his talent and acknowledge it. Tears came to his eyes as he shared this. I met in him a kindred spirit. His confession helped me realise I am not alone in that very same struggle.
  There was another dynamic to this conversation for me as well. There's something about a man who cries that brings healing to my soul. It helps me fear them a little less.
  There was miracle of answered prayer. The last thing the conference organisers did was hold a draw. I got thinking how much I'd love to win something. I could hear the child in me, hand raised shouting, "Pick me! Pick me!" However, the delightful woman sitting next to me had taken every session I had. Sometimes we sat together, other times not. I'd been grateful to have a familiar face in all the groups even though we'd just met. I silently asked the Lord to let her win instead of me. Her name was the next one picked and she walked out with a lovely basket of flowers. Praise God!
  "To each of us grace was given, according to the measure of Christ's gift. Therefore He says: "When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men." Eph 4:7-8
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I remember in a clinic I worked in they changed all references of "Patient" to "Client". It was part of changing the focus from us being the directors of care, the responsible ones - to that of a partnership and the choice of the person coming to us. I certainly understand the philosophy behind it - but somehow it leaves me cold, like you. There has to be another word besides one that makes you feel you are in a law office. Although "Patient" may sound like we are sick - it also sounds like we will receive care. Razor's edge really. Being on the receiving end of treatment now - I like to know they are the experts.

    So glad your conference was affirming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in an office where we handle money for "represented adults" and we call them our clients. I agree there should be another word but I don't know what it is. One agency we dealt with talked about their "consumers" but that feels stilted to me.

    If you do come up with a better word, please pass it on - I am sure many of us would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. Why not identify those we serve for what they are: People, persons, men and/or women, the children?

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...