Saturday 26 April 2014

Coming up for Air by Susan L.

  I wonder how hermits, nuns and monks are able to sustain their searching to know the Lord for hours and hours and a lifetime. The last few days has given me a taste of what it must be like to have that kind of freedom. That taste has left me hungry for more. It's just that life keeps getting in the way: the "to do" list, work, house chores, grocery shopping, the cat demanding attention. Wah-wah-wah...
  It makes me cringe to hear the whining finger pointing. Sorry about that.
  Let's get real here.
  Even as I sat down to do today's post, my mind wandered the universe and spanned ages past. Snippits of memory: a brass, lion's head necklace I once owned. Threads of concern: the inevitable sump pump that continues to run and run. Blocks of emotions drift through my conscious. They have substance but vanish, discarded as irrelevant or should I say, I simply don't want to go there.
  I confess I have a hard time not playing the word game, Scrabble, on my phone. Gaming is a rather unhealthy coping tool that devours huge chunks of time like a hungry serpent. It's also a way of coping that was large part of my life before I knew the Lord. If I bury my head in the sand, I don't have to think. You know what they say about old habits dying hard.
  So delete the game. All the games on the phone.
  Such a simple solution. Thank You, Lord and forgive me. I ask You to reveal why I have been using this self-destructive tool. What's going on behind the scenes that has me feeling so incredibly, utterly overwhelmed. Why am I hiding? In Jesus name I pray.
  "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them." Eph 5:8-11

2 comments:

  1. A word of encouragement - once you start feeding on the Word - you crave it. Nothing else will do. A sort of restlessness sets in when we are not honoring the urging of the Spirit to taste the Lord - and know He is good. Good on ya for seeing one of those distractions - and actually dealing with them. You often have to give up the "good" for what is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anonymous, for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...