Friday 11 April 2014

A Bit Rushed by Susan L.

  I didn't want to start the day without doing my blog. When I miss one, it leaves me feeling unsettled, like missing my morning coffee. Yesterday I was alone at the centre and responsible for cooking the community lunch we offer. It doesn't happen too often and I enjoy cooking for many. It's much easier than cooking for one. We had baked chicken, whipped potatoes and roasted beets. Yum.
  Today's early start is because there are individual meetings scheduled with the centre's chief Coordinator. I know it's nothing to be nervous about but still, it's the first time this has happened since I started and I am not sure what to expect. .
  On the upside, it's arts and crafts this afternoon. The how to draw group drew to a close but probably not permanently. We just need a break. It has been very successful and rewarding for both the participants and myself. It's challenging teaching someone a skill when much of that skill involves automatic habits. It made me think about what I do when drawing, how I look at the objects. Something simple like holding my pencil was knowledge to be shared. We covered a lot in the year or so the group ran for.
   I was blessed to see the results in my enthusiastic students, to see their abilities grow. Watching the confidence and joy in what they were doing was better than any paycheck I could ever have. You know you've taught your students well when you can learn from them. I learned a lot. I learned how to encourage and direct without using criticism. That was the biggest lesson and it has woven its way into my life.
  "Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another." Gal 5:26

1 comment:

  1. Lifelong learning! Isn't it wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...