Saturday 15 March 2014

Short Fuse by Susan L.

  So peer support is all about being there for someone. It takes many shapes: a laugh, a shoulder, an exchange of knowledge, encouragement, a game of cards. (I do like my lists!) The most difficult thing for me to lay down is the desire to fix or advise. The human, mother-knows-best, part of me sometimes wants to smack someone upside the head and shout, "Get with the program already!" Then I smack myself because that is not support coming from a place of grace and patience.
  How did Jesus do it? And even as I typed that out, the answer came, "God, silly." Of course!
  Tempers were short this week, anxiety ran high, frustrations bubbled up. And that's just me but I definitely wasn't alone. Nearly everyone I meet has had enough of winter and the bitter cold. Kudos to those who live where winter lasts a whole lot longer and to those who enjoy the snow. It's just not my cup of tea.
  I think most of these negative influences are there because of not being outside for any length of time except to shovel the driveway again.  (Oh...Thank You, Lord, I have a driveway and a shovel.) I don't downhill ski. I attempted cross country years ago but that was more like cross country falling. (Thank You no limbs were broken.) I thought snowshoeing might be something I'm interested in but that desire doesn't last long. (Thank You that I would be physically able to try.) The other considerations are the cost.(Thank You that my basic needs are met and then some.) Winter activities don't come cheap. Or maybe that's just an excuse to stay inside. (Thank You as well that I have an inside to stay in that is nice and cozy.)
  Therein lay another answer. Thank You's make things a whole lot better. God's answer to snuffing out a short fuse before a temper tantrum explodes.
  "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all you iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies." Ps 100:2-4
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...