Friday 14 March 2014

Here Goes by Susan L.

  I started writing a fantasy fiction novel quite a while ago inspired by a short story written for the Writer's Nest. I liked the character but had a million questions: how did he get where he was? What happened to him? Who is he? What's he like? Did he have friends? What's his world like?
  This curiosity enabled me to start writing a book about him and what has ended up being a rather large cast of characters. Initially, the story poured out as I followed them on their adventures. When they got to a complicated battle scene between, of course, the forces of good and evil, I got stuck. It was confusing working out what was happening on both sides.
 There were some rather interesting dynamics that had evolved as well: betrayal and subterfuge. I am not a very good chess player so it has really stretched my abilities as a strategist. It was hard keeping track of who was who. If a writer can't keep track, how can we expect a reader to? In frustration and feeling overwhelmed, I stopped writing.
  The book has been in the forefront of my mind, answers to a prayer from a short while ago.  Yesterday I pulled the manuscript out and read all that was written to this point, around a hundred pages. Once again I am excited about what is going to happen next even though I haven't a clue. The battle scene is still overwhelming so more questions came bubbling up.
  A tool is needed to carry on the story; something, some way of sorting out the mess and organizing my thoughts. My quick prayer for such a thing was answered before it was finished: draw a map of the battle zone, marking where the different characters are to help clarify the situation in my mind. It works for the military so why not for the imagination?
  The weekend is coming so my plan is to re-enter this imaginary world uninterrupted by responsibilities. Once again I'll submerge myself in Tellurian Plane and the people who live there. It is exciting to see where the Starfather leads his followers.
  Help me Lord, find balance and inspiration in Your word as I write this magical, mystical story of lives lived in faith. Help me stay determined to see it through to the end.
  "The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord." Prov 16:1
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...