Sunday 29 December 2013

Guitar by Susan L.

  I had been asked what I would like to do to celebrate my milestone birthday this coming April. There are certain members in my family who like to plan ahead because it's a significant one, the big five oh. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want a big party, just a family dinner.
  A summer road trip through the Maritimes was one idea because that was where I spent a good chunk of my childhood. I haven't been back since we moved to Ontario in the seventies.  There's the house my dad built in Dartmouth to see and travelling around the Cabot Trail. If it was timed right, there's the Highland Games in Antigonish to revisit as well. However, that kind of trip wouldn't be much fun on my own.
  Then I decided that learning to play the guitar would be a nice thing to do. I'd love a piano but my house is too small. Besides, playing at other people's homes brings them joy as well.
  My brother lent me his very nice guitar to try out before making an investment in my own. There's a couple of things that are challenging. I think my fingers are too short to do the chords. They might be a bit thick too because is hard for me to hit just one string. Following my experimenting yesterday there might be some residual nerve damage to my index finger, it's still numb. I have strength in my hands from playing the piano, maybe too much.
  Music has been a huge part of my life for as far back as I can remember. My parents blessed me with lessons and opportunities. First the organ, then the flute. Here's a thought: perhaps I should blow the dust off my flute instead and join a local orchestra. I'm rather rusty so it would take some practicing to get me back where I once was. It's been a long time since it was played.
  It's all about making a joyful noise one way or another because it's only by the grace of God that I am here.
  "Oh, sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord, bless His name." Ps 96:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...