Friday 26 July 2013

More Thoughts by Susan L.

I got thinking about surrender in relation to my simple human understanding about the nature of God. The comment yesterday about surrender implying defeat has made me realize why it isn't in the Bible, at least my King James anyways. Surrendering negates our own free will. It means we're backed into a corner with no choice but to give up or give it up whatever "it" might be. The God I am growing to know would never do that to His children: force us to do anything we weren't a) ready b) able c) willing to do. Yet, at the same time, if we are open to the process, He gently molds us and shapes us so we ARE ready, able and willing to do as He asks;to give up things, thoughts, habits or whatever stands in our way. Forced capitulation is both legalistic and an horrific breach of trust. This is where sacrifice, sacrificial offerings, come in to the picture. More times than I can count, I've unwillingly/willingly uttered the words, "I choose to forgive..." sacrificing all my negative bad,sad, toxic and rage filled emotions to God's will. That is the paint sealed window opening. I can testify the Lord has guided me along the joutney of recovery, or as I like to say discovery, never pushing, never hard, never condemning. That stuff came from me. I think I've said this before although it isn't my idea: Jesus' life and resurrection turns the ten commandments into the ten promises. That is the power of love beyond measure, the power of an offering and a freely given sacrifice. "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Saviour." Lk 1:46

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...