Sunday 28 April 2013

Tangents by Susan L.

My son and daughter-in-law were over yesterday for dinner. Both of them are talented artists so a good chunk of our conversation revolved around art. They taught me about tangents. It's just like the old saying, "Off on a tangent" when a person gets hold of an idea and goes on and on about it. In art, the same thing happens only with images. A classic example is the photo of a person with a tree growing out of their head. What a tangent does is flatten a picture. Objects in the foreground and background end up connected so it robs the image of depth. I had done a little water colour painting of a split rail fence with a dilapidated old barn in the background. There was something about it I wasn't happy with. When the three of us looked at it last night, sure enough, there it was. A tangent. One of the fence posts looked like it was part of the barn. Now I know another thing to watch out for in my drawing and painting. In my writing? I'll try and keep my tangents to the few paragraphs for my blog! "My heart trusted in Him and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him." Ps 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...