Tuesday 8 January 2013

"Have a Little Faith" by Susan L.

The title is not mine but the name of a book by Mitch Albom. He is a talented and gifted writer. All his books that I 've read are full of thoughtful wisdom. Within their covers lay many affirmations of my own ideas about life and faith. This autobiographical book is about his relationship with his Rabbi and a Christian pastor. Mostly its about his own spiritual awakening. At one point the Rabbi talks about depression. I was afraid it was going to be a hard pill to swallow. I have been on the receiving end of the good intentioned words, "You just need more faith! Then you'll be well!" Those are the harshest words I know. Surprisingly it wasn't. It was a dissertation about the over use of the word "depression". Like me, the Rabbi is saddened by the speed at which pills are prescribed to treat the sorrows of life. It is shocking. The difficult times in our lives, like losing a loved one were never meant to be fixed by a magic pill. These are not a sickness. Yes, there are tough times. Yes, clinical depression often needs medical intervention. I am personally thankful they exist. Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank You, Lord, for the bumps in the road, the mountains in my path that draw me nearer to Thee!! "When He works on the left hand, I cannot behold Him; when He turns to tthe right hand, I cannot see Him; but He knows the way that I take." Job 23:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...