Sunday 7 October 2012

This Little Light by Susan L.

My friend gave me a little card with St. Francis of Assisi's Peace Prayer on it. The first line is, "Lord,let me be an instrument of Your peace." It is a prayer that resonates deeply with my heart's desire. It exemplifies what I hope to be as a peer supporter or rather, a minister of God. What astounds me is how universal the training I've had so far truly is because everything can be utilized in all facets of my life. It's all about relationship and relating to others. The opportunities to bear God's peace are infinite: a kind word to the person standing behind you in the slowest line in the store. Not tossing your Tim's cup out the window or sharing a skill like how to make home made soup are others. It could be giving someone a great, big, unconditional hug. There is no cost factor in being a peace bearer except that perhaps we need to shed our ability to make assumptions about others. When we assume, we judge based on our own experiences, faith, prejudices, ethics, education and history. Not that I'm saying we need to be perfect, just be aware of our own brokenness and how that can colour our thoughts and actions. Thank God we have the ability to learn but more importantly God has the infinite capacity to forgive us and grow us in all facets of life on this blessed Earth. "But to each of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift." Eph 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...