Thursday 25 October 2012

The Seeds of an Idea by Susan L.

As an experiment last summer I decided to grow a grapefruit seed. Several actually. Using one of those multi- purpose, handy-dandy containers from Chinese take-out I placed some potting soil in the bottom. I soaked it well, stuck in a handful of seeds and covered it with plastic wrap. A mini greenhouse for my window sill. About ten days later they began to sprout, peeking above the soil. I chose the healthiest two and transplanted them into bigger pots. One is doing well. The other suffered from a lack of water and lost most of its leaves. Oops. They are about two feet tall now. That worked so the next seed to try was lemon. They are actually a bush and easier to make a Bonsai miniature tree from. Like the grapefruit I have one that is healthy and one that is barely alive. I think I over fertilized the poor thing. There's a metaphor in there somewhere! "Teach me, and I will hold my tongue; Cause me to understand when I have erred." Job 6:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...