Sunday 30 September 2012

With a Twist by Susan L.

Yesterday was the perfect day to rip out the remnants of my veggie garden, harvesting the few edibles that were left. This past spring I invested in a small electric tiller because my garden is a fair size and I dreaded turning the soil by hand. Should have got one years ago. It chews through the sandy soil in a matter of twenty minutes sparing the two or so more hours it would have taken with the shovel. My compost pile is empty now, having been spread on the garden before tilling it. I needed space before hacking away at my perennials so I'll have more compost come spring. Sorry, folks, but it got me thinking about snow. Why has no one invented a tiller that doubles as a snow blower? There's weed wackers that have chainsaw or edgers or any number of implement attachments. A tractor's power shaft runs innumerable pieces of equipment as well. Ah,well, I'm not an engineer. Do I really need a snow blower? Thankfully I'm able to shovel my thirty foot driveway and it is something I enjoy, at least until the end of February. God has sent people occaisionally when I needed help to clear the four foot mountain courtesy of the snow plow several days in a row. I wouldn't part with any of the machines that make my life easier: washer, dryer, stove, fridge, kettle, toaster and yes, my cell phone has become invaluable as well. (Me, who dragged my heels before getting one.) It was last year's model but has more bells and whistles than I'll ever use. This meandering ramble is at the foot of one question: Whem did invention become the mother of necessity? "And do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." Gal 5:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...