Wednesday 12 September 2012

The Richness of Poverty by Susan L.

To I was sick for a very long time. Not that anyone knew, I didn't know myself. It took my brain departing from the narrow paths of reason to find me seeking help. Initially it felt as though a thief in the night had stolen all the things I valued or was it all the things I found that gave me value? Work was out of the question. I thrashed around, stopping,starting, trying again before surrendering to this new reality. I had tried my best because I enjoyed my job. "Work." How we place such importance on the not so simple task of providing for our needs: a roof, food, clothes, a car, a phone, a computer, the list is endless. At the age of 43 and for the next two years I lived with the help from my wonderful parents to pay the bills,working the odd job gardening or painting as I was able thankful I had my very own roof and the luxury of a car. Living out of town it was more of a necessity to be able to access my supports that have helped me as I yook on the toughest job I had ever done. The quest for recovery from the currents of the Black River. It was hard, this "charity". It was harder to admit I needed long term financial help. My folks had done all they could. "Oh, my goodness! I have grown up to be, a welfare bum!" With the princely sum of $423 a month." It was a tough pill to swallow. Yes, and with a grateful heart, the medications necessary to my recovery were paid for or these meager funds would have been gone with the snap of a lid. It's a terrible choice to have to makr:drugs vs a roof which you end up losing anyways because paying bills is beyond your ability because you are sick and can't access the help you need and because you no longer have an address, the financial support vanishes. (A true story although not mine.) I believe and hope it's only temporary, now being assisted by CPP disability. I have enough to get by because I've learned what I can do without: satellite TV, meat, new clothes, bubble bath, fewer hair cuts...The Lord often blesses me with a meal out courtesy of my friends. I am rich beyond measure in that aspect. Life is simpler this way because I've discovered the hidden wealth of giving of ourselves, when we offer a shoulder to cry on, when we share our knowledge or teach someone a new skill. I have been immeasurably blessed by those who have nothing but the clothes on their back. Our uniqueness is a blessing to others, no matter our station in life. I am thankful for these trials and wouldn't have changed any of it fo the world. They have made me a kinder, gentler person. "He (Jesus) saw the city (Jerusalem) anwept over it saying, "If only you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace!"" Lk19:41-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...