Friday 31 August 2012

Peaks and Valleys by Susan

I have a roofer coming tonight to begin putting new shingles on my apparently rather leaky roof. I am thankful it has been a dry summer because most of the leaks didn't make it through to do damage to the inside of the house. Just 1 small patch and some slight discoloration in the paint are the only signs there was a problem. 2 weeks ago I noticed the damage in my living room and thought maybe the water was coming in around my chimney or around the vent pipe. Out came the extension ladder and up I went. My eyes drew level with the eaves trough. Then my chin. My heart gave a rather startling thumpity-thump and I knew there was absolutely no way I could check the roof myself. My mouth was as dry as the Sahara With fear. Sometimes being at the very peak can generate fear. With mental illness there is always that shadow when you are feeling well. When am I going to slide again? Sometimes it is all we can do to stay on the ladder. The wonderful thing is that there is a strong movement geared to mental health recovery. More and more tools, coping skills and opportunities are presented for those who wish to step onto the roof and find victory over their challenges. Check out: www.cultureofrecovery.org "Then your eyes shall be opened." Gen 3:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...